Disclaimer: This podcast does not provide medical advice. The information on this podcast is for informational purposes only. No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Subscribe to the podcast HERE if you have an iPhone – or check out this link if you want to listen on an Android or other device!
Episode 19: Ask the Midwife Q+A with Ailsa Emmel
When you are expecting a baby, there are so many decisions to make before, during, and after labor. Having a midwife can be a true source of comfort throughout this time. What exactly is a midwife though? How does it differ from an OB or doula? My friend Ailsa is on the show to shed some light on what exactly a midwife does. I know you will feel Ailsa’s passion for helping women feel comfortable and stay safe during pregnancy, labor, and delivery.
Ailsa Emmel is a certified nurse midwife and a huge advocate for women empowerment. Previously, she was a commissioned officer and Navy Nurse. Once she had her twins, she attended the University of Miami to complete Midwifery school.
In this episode we discuss:
- The difference between an OBGYN, midwife, and doula
- Making important decisions during labor and after birth such as epidurals, VBACs, and delayed cord clamping
- The motherhood comparison game that begins during pregnancy
- Black maternal health disparities
- Ailsa’s Instagram: @_happygocurly_
- Irth – Birth Without Bias
- Hear from the founder of Irth
- Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know About the People We Don’t Know, Malcolm Gladwell
- The Coddling of the American Mind, Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt
- Black Mamas Matter Alliance
Connect with Lynzy:
- Join the Motherhood Meets Medicine community at patreon.com/motherhoodmeetsmedicine
- Instagram: @motherhoodmeetsmedicine
- Sign up for the weekly newsletter here
Questions answered within this episode:
- What exactly is a midwife? What’s the difference between an OBGYN, a midwife and a doula?
- When is it safe to have a VBAC?
- What are your thoughts on a hospital birth center vs. an out of hospital birth center?
- What are your thoughts on delayed cord clamping?
- Are there evidence based ways to get babies to flip if breached?
- Are cervical checks necessary?
- What does it mean to be GBS positive?
- How do we make significant changes in maternal mortality rates, especially for women of color?