Ep 06: Reducing Anxieties Surrounding Complications During Pregnancy, Birth, and Postpartum with Dr. Marta Perez
In today’s episode, Dr. Marta Perez and I will be addressing OB complications and how to reduce our anxiety surrounding those. We’ll look at complications during pregnancy, labor and birth, and postpartum. Dr. Perez’s eight week old baby, Paul, joins in on the conversation as well! With the incredible modern medicine we have now, you’ll hear that complications are common but not typically life-threatening. Hopefully by the end of this conversation, most of your anxieties and fears regarding these complications will be put to rest.
Dr. Perez is a board certified OB-GYN and assistant professor of OB-GYN at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, where she works as a laborist exclusively taking care of pregnant patients admitted to the hospital. She has a passion for direct public education on social media. Dr. Perez can be found on Instagram and Youtube providing evidence-based information about pregnancy, birth, postpartum, contraception and more. She enjoys everything fitness, reading, spending time with her husband and dog, and being a new mom.
In this episode we discuss:
- The most common complications during pregnancy, birth, and postpartum
- The difference between preeclampsia and eclampsia and who is at risk for it
- The myths and facts regarding gestational diabetes
- Birth trauma and what to do if you experience it
- The glamorization of birth on social media
- Having babies after previous birth complications
- Whether or not you should be concerned to have babies over the age of 35
- Epidural complications and how common they really are