This pregnancy safe skincare routine is one that I have been using for about 6 weeks now and I am really happy overall with the way my skin has been! During pregnancy those hormones can really wreck havoc on your skin and I really think that these have been my holy grail. I get really red skin during pregnancy (and during the winter months) as well as small red bumps on my face from hormones and these products have really helped me combat that. Some of these products are ones that I have been using for years and others are 6 weeks new but I really love the current routine I have. I put the products in order of how I apply them since I get a lot of questions about that. I will also state that I am NOT a skincare guru and that these really work well for me but I am not a dermatologist or skincare blogger 😉 I have also heard that the ewg and the think dirty app are great resources BUT have their flaws when it comes to researching whether or not a product is “clean”. I looked up the ingredients individually and products as a whole to create this routine that was the cleanest it could be without losing the product’s effectiveness! 😉
Pregnancy Safe Skincare Routine
1)Beauty Counter Cleansing Balm || this is what I use to remove my makeup and to wash my face. This is the cleanest product I can find that does BOTH at the same time (removes makeup and cleanses well).
I use this product with the makeup eraser clothes HERE!
2) Tula Facial Cleanser (no longer using) || I don’t really use this anymore (I was using it prior) because it rates an 8 on the think dirty app because one of its ingredients is fragrance. It also contains a few other concerning ingredients like retinyl palmitate, phenoxyethanol, PEG-150 distearate and a few others that are considered somewhat “dirty”.
Data from an FDA study indicate that retinyl palmitate, when applied to the skin in the presence of sunlight, may speed the development of skin tumors and lesions – which is frightening.
Retinol is also something you should avoid during pregnancy so this is a product that I no longer use.
As an ethoxylated compound, phenoxyethanol can contain trace amounts of 1,4-dioxane which is a known carcinogen. Many companies will claim that they use such small amounts that it doesn’t matter, but hey! It matters to me 😉
3) Franklin & Whitman Facial Toner || completely unscented and is very light and refreshing. Helps rebalance skins pH and rehydrate! Very few clean ingredients in this product: Organic Citrus Sinensis Hydrosol, Organic Cucumis Sativus Hydrosol, Organic Hibiscus Rosa Sinensis Hydrosol, Organic Hamamelis Hydrosol!
4) Herbivore Bakauchiol Retinol Alternative Serum || A clean retinol alternative that I discovered by a PA in derm awhile back! It’s a great product that mimics and has the same benefits as retinol!
5) Biossance Squalane & Vitamin C Rose Oil || Increases skins tone and texture, boosts skin firmness, hydrates and protects against moisture loss. Bonus points because it smells like a dozen roses – I love it!!
6) Biossance Aqualane & Marine Algae Eye Cream || minimizes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles in about 7 days! Visibly lifts and has been great for my under eye circles!
7) Biossance Squalane & Probiotic Gel Moisturizer || Reduces pore size, reduces redness (I have had a lot of issues with this since becoming pregnant and I swear this helps), improves and maintains hydration! I love that this is a gel moisturizer because it glides on so easy and feels weightless!
Other products I use:
Native Deodorant || I switched over to this a few years ago after doing an armpit detox (important for best results with the new, natural deodorant) and I love it! My favorite scent right now is the blackberry & plum!
Code: lynzyandco20 for 20% off your first purchase!
Isles of Paradise Tanning Drops || bummed to find out that these do rate an 8 in the think dirty app because they have “fragrance” as an ingredient and that could be an umbrella for really anything toxic. I don’t use these very often, just once in awhile but now I am on the hunt for some that are a little safer (specifically for face). I am going to try this (which is the same brand as the one below)!
Organic Self Tanner || rates a 2 on the think dirty app and I LOVE this stuff. I don’t use it that often but it really gives you a great glow in about 8 hours or so! I make sure to exfoliate well before using it!
Beauty Counter Facial Mask || I truly think that this product has been HUGE when it comes to combating hormones during this pregnancy! Draws out impurities and absorbs excess oil. It really helps to clear my pores and give a nice glow! I love this!
Tula Beauty Sleep Overnight Repair || I use this 1-2 times a week overnight to help give my skin a boost and glow and love it. I tried to do as much research as I could including looking up the individual ingredients and haven’t found any issues. If any of you know of any though, please reach out! 🙂
Code: LYNZY for 20% off