Subscribe to the podcast HERE if you have an iPhone – or check out this link if you want to listen on an Android or other device!
Episode 9: Postpartum Anxiety, Postpartum Depression, and Intrusive Thoughts with Dr. Catherine Schmidt
One in five moms experience postpartum depression and/or postpartum anxiety. Recent research shows that half of moms experience intrusive thoughts during their motherhood journey. Do these statistics surprise you? If you are experiencing any of these mood disorders, you’re most definitely not alone and you have done nothing wrong. Today, Dr. Catherine Schmidt is answering all our questions on these topics. She is also helping us understand how to know if you need to seek help from mental health professionals.
Dr. Catherine Schmidt is a licensed clinical psychologist with a private practice in San Francisco, California. She specializes in helping women improve their relationships, alleviate anxiety, and cultivate a balanced, fulfilling life.
In this episode we discuss:
- The difference between baby blues and postpartum depression
- Intrusive thoughts and how to effectively manage them
- How and where to seek help with PPD and PPA
- Post-weaning depression and postpartum rage
- Communicating with your partner about how you’re feeling
- Whether or not placenta encapsulation has proven benefits
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Connect with Dr. Catherine:
Connect with Lynzy:
- Join the Motherhood Meets Medicine community at patreon.com/motherhoodmeetsmedicine
- Instagram: @motherhoodmeetsmedicine
- Sign up for the weekly newsletter here
Disclaimer: This podcast does not provide medical advice. The information on this podcast is for informational purposes only. No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Questions that are answered within this episode:
- How common is postpartum depression?
- What are intrusive thoughts? Do we know what causes these?
- How do we know when we need to seek help for postpartum anxiety?
- If I think I have intrusive thoughts, what is the step by step process for dealing with them?
- For those specifically experiencing PPA, what are specific tools or strategies you can use?
- If you had PPD once, are you more likely to get it again?
- Is there such a thing as post weaning depression?
- Ways to help your partner understand PPA/PPD/intrusive thoughts
- Does placenta encapsulation really help with PPD?
- What is postpartum rage?
- A listener stated she is constantly looking for something to go wrong as if things are too good to be true. Could this be PPA?
- Antidepressants and breastfeeding- is it ok?
- How do I know if I’m just sleep deprived or experiencing PPA vs. PPD?
- Are any of these disorders more prevalent if you have a boy vs. girl?
- How do we find counselors that specialize with PPA/PPD in our community or telehealth? What are the steps?