Disclaimer: This podcast does not provide medical advice. The information on this podcast is for informational purposes only. No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.
Subscribe to the podcast HERE if you have an iPhone – or check out this link if you want to listen on an Android or other device!
Episode 28: Oil Pulling, Tongue Scraping, Mouth Taping, and Women’s Dental Health with Dr. Leedia
Did you notice any changes with your dental health postpartum? If so, there’s a reason for it. I have experienced this myself, and was shocked to learn how many other women have too. Today I’m chatting with Dr. Leedia all about the many changes that occur with women’s oral health over the years and how to prevent issues like cavities, gum disease, and more. You may be surprised that there is way more to prevention than simply brushing and flossing!
Dr. Leedia is a dentist and her mission is to start a movement empowering and educating women and mothers about the importance of preventive oral health. Gynecology and dentistry should go hand in hand, because hormonal changes have such a tremendous impact on every single transition of a woman’s oral health.
In this episode we discuss:
- How dentition changes during pregnancy and postpartum
- Why diet plays a role in your dental health
- What to know about oil pulling, tongue scraping, and mouth taping
- Standard toothbrushes vs. electric toothbrushes
- RiseWell Toothpaste
- Mouth tape
- Copper Tongue Scraper
- Coconut oil pulling rinse
- Research regarding hydroxyapatite vs. fluoride
Connect with Dr. Leedia:
- Instagram: @drleedia
- E-mail for a virtual consult: email@example.com
Connect with Lynzy:
- Join the Motherhood Meets Medicine community at patreon.com/motherhoodmeetsmedicine
- Instagram: @motherhoodmeetsmedicine
- Sign up for the weekly newsletter here
Questions answered in this post:
- How does dentition change during pregnancy and postpartum?
- Should your dental care change during pregnancy and postpartum?
- What is oil pulling and how often do you do it?
- What is a tongue scraper?
- What is mouth taping? What are the benefits?
- Are there advantages to having an electric toothbrush?
- Are all toothpastes pregnancy friendly?
- Are there any procedures that require numbing that are 100% necessary during pregnancy?
- Is it true that your teeth move and shift during pregnancy and postpartum?
- Is it okay to whiten your teeth?