Episode 12: Baby Sleep Training, Regressions, and Transitions with The Cradle Coach Founder, Melissa Perry
Sleep is so incredibly important. When your baby is not sleeping well, it affects everyone in your home. If your baby isn’t sleeping at night or only taking short cat naps, sleep training may be the next step. But how do you know if sleep training is right for you? Our guest today, Melissa Perry, is breaking it all down so that you can make the best decisions for you and your family. She is answering all of your questions about baby sleep patterns and routines. There are small and gentle tweaks that you can make to ensure that you are promoting healthy sleep habits for your baby.
Melissa Perry is the Founder and Lead Sleep Consultant at The Cradle Coach and The Cradle Coach Academy. She has received her certification as a Happiest Baby on the Block educator and a Maternity and Baby Certified Sleep Consultant from the International Maternity and Parenting Institute. She also has her certification as a Newborn Care Advanced Specialist from the Newborn Care Training Academy. For over 10 years, she has helped entrepreneurs successfully launch their own businesses through The Cradle Coach Academy. We plan to have Melissa back on the show in the near future to discuss toddler sleep tips!
Questions answered in this episode:
- What kind of sleep training methods are there?
- How much of a child’s sleep behavior is genetic vs. something they learned?
- What age can I start introducing healthy sleep habits and training my child to sleep better?
- Why does the four-month sleep regression occur?
- How long can a 4 month old go without nursing overnight?
- How often do babies go through sleep cycles?
- How can someone begin to try to increase short naps?
- How do we know if our baby is going through a growth spurt or if they’re sick vs. hungry?
- Is there a specific time that’s ideal to move the baby out of the room?
- What can I do as a mom to help my baby fall asleep on their own?
- What is the ideal temperature to set the baby’s room for a good sleep?
- Is there a specific bedtime for babies under one that we should aim for?
- How do you sleep train if there is a toddler in the room next door?
- When to transition to one nap and how long should that nap be?
In this episode we discuss:
- What sleep training is and when you should try it
- The four month sleep regression
- Transitioning to one nap per day
- Ideal sleeping environments and schedules for babies
- How often babies go through sleep cycles
- YouTube: How to Guides for Baby Sleep
- Nap Transitions (3 to 2)
- Nap Transitions (2 to 1)
- Wake Window Guide
- Sleep Regression Cheat Sheet
- Want to become a sleep consultant? Check out our certification online course, The Cradle Coach Academy