Have you ever had one of those days when you feel like your body is literally screaming out for vegetables? Maybe your weekend was filled with one-too-many tasty margaritas and now you’re craving some good old nutritious food? Or maybe you’re just trying to get the family to eat more vegetables? If the answer is yes, then this Quick & Easy Cauliflower Rice recipe is for you. With only two ingredients, this “cauli-rice” will help you get more veggies on your plate in 20 minutes without even realizing it.
Other than the obvious health factor (it’s just cauliflower and a little butter), one of my favorite things about cauli-rice is how versatile it is. You can use it in a stir fry, stuff it in a burrito, put it in a gumbo or just eat it as a side as part of a larger meal. It’s really the perfect rice substitute.
I’ll even go as far to say that it’s easier than cooking rice. I’ve undercooked and/or burned rice way more times than I’d like to admit. But since cauliflower has a high water content, there’s no need to add liquid to cook and soften the grated cauliflower florets – just 5 to 8 minutes over medium-high heat and you’re done!
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tbsp butter (or other cooking fat)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- In a large bowl, grate cauliflower florets using a large cheese grater or lightly pulse florets in a food processor until finely chopped and resembles rice.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add shredded cauliflower, salt and black pepper.
- Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower rice begins to soften. Be careful not to overcook as the cauliflower can get mushy.
- Serve and enjoy!
Isabel is a blogger who loves creating (and eating!) recipes that range from the great-for-leftovers weeknight meal to the super-indulgent special occasion feast. When she’s not cooking, you’ll find her raising awareness about food & body image issues and empowering women to love themselves and their bodies.
Other posts by Isabel: Easy Spinach, Mushroom, & Onion Breakfast Frittata // Banana Berry Smoothie // Easy Homemade Chicken Salad