Today I’m on a mission to change the way we feel about lunch and it starts with this Easy Apple Walnut Chicken Salad made with chopped walnuts, crisp green apples, juicy red grapes and sweet dried cranberries.
I don’t know about you but I have mixed feeling about lunch. Should I eat out? Should I grab some leftovers from last night’s dinner? Or maybe I could just pack some snack bars and hope I don’t get hungry? Yeah, we all know that’s never a good idea.
Lunch is either usually a little disappointing, leaving me snacking and grazing until dinnertime or overly satisfying, leaving me tired and sleepy. But I’ve finally found the perfect middle ground.
This Easy Apple Walnut Chicken Salad is a great blend of sweet, salty and savory and can be served in a wrap, a sandwich or on top of some leafy greens for a salad. The recipe below includes baking the chicken yourself but if you’re short on time (or just don’t feel like it) you can use canned chicken or rotisserie shredded chicken and save 35 minutes!
- 2 lbs chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 ½ cups grapes, halved
- 1 green apple, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup light mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix chopped chicken, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Transfer seasoned chicken to a large baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes.
- Transfer cooked chicken to a large bowl and place in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Add the grapes, apple, celery, walnuts, dried cranberries and mayonnaise to the cooled chicken and mix thoroughly.
- Season chicken salad with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!
Isabel is a real food blogger who loves creating and eating recipes made with good-for-you, unprocessed ingredients that lead to a deliciously sustainable lifestyle. She lives in Pittsburgh with her significant other and their cat, Charlie. Her hobbies include gardening, strength training and knitting when it’s cold outside.
Other posts by Isabel: Easy Spinach, Mushroom, & Onion Breakfast Frittata // Banana Berry Smoothie